My professional qualifications, accreditations and memberships:
- BSc(Hons) Bachelors in Molecular Biology
- MBChB Bachelors in Medicine and Surgery
- MSt Masters in International Relations
- MD(Res) Doctorate in Cultural Psychiatry
- MRCPsych Membership of the Royal College of Psychiatrists
My professional experience:
I am Clinical Director of the Mind and Body Programme in South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust & King’s Health Partners Academic Health Sciences Centre. Clinically I am a liaison psychiatrist, which means that although employed by a mental health trust I work in acute trust hospital settings. King’s College hospital is my base hospital where I have particular interests in self-harm, personality disorder, mental health crisis management and the overlap between physical health and mental health difficulties.
I completed my undergraduate medical degree at the University of Edinburgh (2000); my masters degree, from the University of Cambridge (2007) and subsequently my doctoral research degree at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, King’s College London (2015).
I undertook my post-graduate clinical training in Edinburgh, Sydney and London and started as a substantive NHS consultant psychiatrist at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust in 2011. I have been Clinical Director for King’s Health Partners’ Mind & Body programme since 2016. This aims to improve the integration of mental and physical healthcare.
I am a member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists and I am on the GMC Specialist Register for General Adult Psychiatry with sub-specialist accreditations in Liaison and Rehabilitation Psychiatry.
My personal statement:
It would be my pleasure to try to help you. Whether you seek a one-off assessment for any reason or require on-going support and management of mental health problems, my aim is to offer you an effective high quality service delivered in an efficient and personable manner. Currently, I can offer early evening or Saturday morning clinic time at Nightingale Hospital London.
Additional information about my research, publications and interests:
- I run research projects on service development around mental and physical healthcare and on medical education. I write on a number of topics, including self-harm, medical education and training and cross-cultural mental health – a full list of all publications is available via my website.
- I am a Visiting Lecturer at the Institute of Psychiatry and I teach at King’s College, London and the Maudsley where I am involved in a number of education and training projects for both medical staff and other mental health professionals.
- I am Director of Maudsley Simulation, the country’s first centre for mental health simulation training.
- In 2012 I was nominated for Psychiatric Trainer of the Year and was privileged to have won the award.
Conditions I treat
- Suicidal Thoughts
- Trauma and PTSD
- Prenatal and Postnatal Depression
- Sleep disorders
- Relationship and Interpersonal Difficulties
- Personality Disorders
- Panic Attacks
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Mood Disorders
- Bipolar Disorders
- Anger Problems