Professional Qualifications, accreditations and memberships:
- MB BS, BSc, MRCPsych, MBA
- Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists
My professional experience:
I graduated from Royal Free & University College Medical School in 2005 and have an International Health BSc from University College London. I was awarded an MBA with Merit from Imperial College London and attained the Cardiff University/Bond Solon Expert Witness Certificate.
I completed my training in General Adult Psychiatry in London, and work as a Consultant Psychiatrist in the NHS. My main areas of special interest are primary care psychiatry and the mental health of refugees and asylum seekers. I have also co-authored papers in peer-reviewed journals on culture-bound syndromes and service development.
My personal statement:
I am recognised by all major insurance companies and provide comprehensive assessment and treatment of common mental health problems.
My particular expertise are in the diagnosis and treatment of:
I regularly compile medico-legal reports for criminal and civil courts, including immigration proceedings and the court of protection.
I am actively involved in postgraduate and undergraduate teaching in mental health and have been involved in the commissioning of primary and secondary care health care services.
Additional information about my research, publications and interests:
- Ayonrinde, O. A., Obuaya, C., Adeyemi, S. O (2015) Brain fag syndrome: a culture-bound syndrome that may be approaching extinction. Psychiatric Bulletin, 39, 156 – 161.
- Obuaya C, Stanton S, Baggaley M (2013) Is there a crisis about crisis houses? J R Soc Med 106: 300
- Obuaya C, Punchihewa V, Tully R (2007). Postoperative management of patients with obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome British Journal of Anaesthesia 98: 696-696
- Obuaya C (2003). International submissions to journals. Lancet 361
- Obuaya C (2002). Reporting of research and health issues relevant to resource poor countries in high- impact medical journals. European Science Editing 28 (3): 72-77
Presentations of research at international conferences:
- “New Models Of Primary Care Psychiatric In-reach In Urban Settings”. Obuaya et al. World Psychiatric Association Conference. 19 Nov 2016
- “Brain fag syndrome: a British culture-bound syndrome.” O Ayonrinde, C Obuaya. Royal College of Psychiatrists annual conference. London 1st July 2008
- “Brain fag syndrome: the extinction of a culture-bound syndrome.” O Ayonrinde, C Obuaya, A Adeyemi. American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting, Washington DC.7 May 08
Conditions I treat
- Work-related stress disorder
- Trauma and PTSD
- Prenatal and Postnatal Depression
- Relationship and Interpersonal Difficulties
- Personality Disorders
- Panic Attacks
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Mood Disorders
- Bulimia Nervosa
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Bipolar Disorders
- Anger Problems