My professional qualifications, accreditations and memberships:
- Medical Degree
- Social Psychology Honours degree
- Psychiatry Specialty with dual accreditation in Addiction Psychiatry from Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Doctorate in Neurosciences from Imperial College
- Diploma in Occupational Medicine from Faculty of Occupational Medicine
- Elected Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists Executive Committee
- Elected member of the Government’s responsible Gambling Strategy Board
- Member of the Medical Women Federation
- Member of the Society for the Study of Addiction
- Member of the Society for Judgement and Decision-Making
- Member of the International Society of Addiction Medicine
- Trustee of Sporting Chance Clinic
- Founder of the National Problem Gambling Clinic
- Founder of Gambling Concern
My professional experience:
I am a consultant psychiatrist with many years of experience in treating all mental illnesses. I am currently working both in the NHS where I run a large team at the National Problem Gambling Clinic, at Imperial College where I have an Honorary Senior Lecturer post and am the co-recipient of Medical Research Grants, and at Nightingale Hospital London where I have worked for many years looking after people suffering from anxiety, stress, depression, alcohol problems, drug problems and relationship difficulties. I have many patients who are sent to me by occupational physicians or employers as one of my areas of expertise is returning people to work after I have treated them. I work with many of the large employers in this country including London Underground. I have expertise in working with top sportspeople and I also greatly enjoy working with the creative and artistic professions.
My personal statement:
I am an optimist by nature and truly love the challenge of getting all my patients better. I have been doing this job for many years and still love it, still look forward to each and every one of my working days. I am committed to my patients and take care of them with a mixture of empathy and evidence-based medical knowledge. This seems to work as I have often looked after people and have been referred their friends and family because of their positive experiences.
Additional information about my research, publications and interests:
I have published extensively, am interviewed regularly by the media, lecture to audiences both in the UK and abroad and in 2010 was one of the Times Best Doctors in the UK.
My web page at Imperial lists all my publications and career developments. www1.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/people/h.bowdenjones