My professional qualifications, accreditations and memberships:
- DPsychSc Clinical Psychology
- Ba (Hons) Psychology
- MSc EdPsych
- Clinical Psychotherapy Cert.
- PgCert CBT
- Chartered Member of the British Psychological Society (BPS CPsychol)
- Member of Psychological Society of Ireland (PSI)
- Registered Practitioner with Health and Care Professional Council (HCPC)
My professional experience:
My postgraduate training was at the Institute of Education, University College London and National University of Ireland, Galway. I have worked in mental health settings (Primary care, secondary care-Adult Mental Health Services and specialist services) for 10 years as a clinical psychologist in the UK and Ireland. My clinical work has included individual and group interventions; work with couples and families. I have worked in rehabilitation services and in both inpatient and outpatient settings where I have offered brief structured interventions as well as longer-term explorative therapy, as was judged appropriate following assessment.
My personal statement:
I feel privileged to be able to have the opportunity to work with different individuals of varying age and backgrounds. As a clinical psychologist, I have been trained as a scientist practitioner, which means I use the available research evidence, in combination with my clinical experience, to deliver effective psychological treatments that are tailored to the needs of the individual. I believe that psychotherapy should empower the individual by increasing their understanding of the issue for which they sought help, as well as providing strategies to help them manage in the future.
I ultimately favour an integrative approach to assessment and treatment, and I incorporate elements of psychodynamic, Schema-focused, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Dialectic Behavioural Therapy, Mindfulness and compassion-focused approaches into my work.
I work collaboratively with the individual in order to develop a plan for a joint therapeutic endeavour while using an eclectic approach based on individual’s resources and needs.
- Exploration of the process of Relapse Prevention Group in alcohol dependents attending Psychology Service.
- Binge eating and morbid obesity: An examination of the roles of obsessive compulsiveness and emotional regulation
- Investigating achievement and its relationships with trait anxiety, state anxiety, social skills and academic self-concept.
- Investigating the relationship between marital satisfaction and psychological well being of married couples.
Conditions I treat
- Psychosexual Difficulties
- Suicidal Thoughts
- Trauma and PTSD
- Prenatal and Postnatal Depression
- Dual Diagnosis
- Sleep Disorders
- Relationship and Interpersonal Difficulties
- Personality Disorders
- Panic Attacks
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Mood Disorders
- Memory Problems
- Eating Disorders Not Otherwise Specified
- Bulimia Nervosa
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Bipolar Disorders
- Anger Problems
- Adult ADHD