Professional Qualifications, accreditations and memberships:
- Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists (MRCPsych)
- Specialist Register for General Adult Psychiatry – Liaison Psychiatry (GMC)
- Specialist recognition RCPsych as Medical Psychotherapist
- Accreditation in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy with the lead organization for CBT, the BABCP, (British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapists). Patients can find me on the register.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (PGDip CBT Oxon)
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBChBAO) QUB 1984
I work in Private Practice as a Consultant Adult Psychiatrist and CBT Psychotherapist. I cover all aspects of Adult Mental Health from Psychoses, Anxiety and Depression, Medically Unexplained Symptoms, Stress and Adjustment disorders, Work and Relationship issues. Previously I worked as an NHS Consultant in Adult Psychiatry in London for 15 years. My NHS Team was in the National final shortlist for the RCPsych ‘Team of the Year’ 2012. In 2017, I ran an NHS clinic for Complex Disorders.
I look forward to assisting each patient to better health and to work in a productive and collaborative partnership. I have professional qualifications in medical psychiatry and psychotherapy which assists a comprehensive approach and enables me to prescribe medications and/or deliver a course of CBT within evidence-based practice and national guidelines. In a first consultation you can discuss your symptoms and I will enquire about your past so that we can come to some understanding as to why you are needing help now. I can provide an assessment, diagnosis and a management plan agreed with you, which may help you to decide on medication and/or what psychological therapy would suit. I believe in a holistic approach within the framework of a warm and caring professional relationship.
I am a Recognised Provider with AXA PPP, BUPA, WPA, Standard life. I am also available for self-pay individuals.
Additional information about my research, publications and interests:
I am Chair of the ‘CBT Medics’ Specialist Interest Group within the BABCP, the lead organisation for Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy. With my CBT qualified medical colleagues nationally, I chair meetings and organise and facilitate an annual conference. I examine the RCPsych professional examinations. Last pub; Routledge 2014 Author of 3 chapters ‘Responses to Terrorism’ Can psychosocial approaches break the cycle of violence?’
Conditions I treat
- Suicidal Thoughts
- Trauma and PTSD
- Prenatal and Postnatal Depression
- Dual Diagnosis
- Sleep disorders
- Relationship and Interpersonal Difficulties
- Personality Disorders
- Panic Attacks
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Mood Disorders
- Adult ADHD