We offer a free telephone consultation to determine whether you, or a loved one, should be seeking eating disorder treatment.
Please enter your details below if you would like a free, confidential discussion with one of our expert eating disorder clinicians.
Following this, our team will be in contact with you shortly to arrange a time.*
*Consultation will not exceed 20-minutes.
*If you are enquiring about an emergency, please contact your general practitioner or local emergency services.
Eating disorder treatment
Eating disorder treatment involves monitoring a person’s physical health while helping them deal with the underlying psychological causes of their eating disorder. Nightingale London is dedicated to delivering individually tailored quality care and treatment to males and females with eating disorders from the age of 12 years.
Recovery from an eating disorder is possible, although it can take a long time. It is important that the person affected wants to get better, and the support of family and friends is invaluable.
Our eating disorder treatments (whether for anorexia treatment, bulimia treatment, bingeing treatment, obesity treatment or not otherwise specified eating disorder treatment, are based on current clinical evidence and put into practice by an experienced, multidisciplinary team of Consultant Psychiatrists, ward doctors, dietitian, specialist therapists including psychologists, cognitive behavioural therapists, family therapists and occupational therapists and the eating disorder nursing team.
At Nightingale Hospital Eating Disorder treatment (whether anorexia treatment, bulimia treatment, bingeing treatment, obesity treatment or not otherwise specified eating disorder treatment) can be accessed as part of an outpatient, day patient or inpatient programme.
What happens in eating disorder treatment?
Your eating disorder team will work in partnership with you, helping you recover and reach your goals while offering intensive psychological and emotional support through group therapy sessions, individual counselling, psychotherapy, individual key worker nursing sessions, dietary guidance and family therapy.
Our team is led by:
- Nightingale Hospital Lead Consultant for Eating Disorders, Consultant Psychiatrist Dr Helen Murphy
- Nightingale Hospital Lead Therapist for Eating Disorders, Dr Joanna Silver
Our therapy team looks after inpatients, outpatients and day therapy in both group and individual sessions.
We offer services for adolescences as well as families.
Eating disorder therapy treatment can include
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Family therapy
- Individual and group therapy sessions
- Enhanced Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT-E)
- Managing feelings, emotion regulation and distress tolerance
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)
- Occupational therapy
- Well being programme
Activities within our eating disorder treatment programme
- Creative expression and writing
- Body image
- Self expression
- Community meeting
- Excursion activity
- Psychotherapy Groups
- Relapse prevention
- Art, drama and music therapy
- Meal cookery
- General exercise when appropriate
Care plans also include meals with family members aimed at rehabilitating a patient back into the home environment.
It is widely acknowledged that caring for a family member with an eating disorder can be profoundly stressful and distressing. In recognition of this, Nightingale Hospital has launched a FREE Fortnightly Eating Disorders Carers’ Evening for the families and carers of current eating disorder patients. This group is facilitated by experts in eating disorders.
There is evidence to show that inclusion of those closest to the patient in psycho-educational programmes may enhance the patients’ recovery. It is also important for carers to have a strategy for self-care to avoid becoming depleted themselves. Patients and their families can feel fully supported in the decisions they make about their care and the treatment delivered by Nightingale Hospital.
We look forward to welcoming you.
Key features of our eating disorder service
1. Accessible central London service
2. Personalised support comprising of inpatient, outpatient, day patient, 1to1 therapy, group therapy, psychiatric care, family therapy and dietetics
3. Diversity of our programme; 1to1 sessions, traditional and compassionate CBT and groups to Regents Park therapy sessions, cooking classes and social lunches
4. Treatment for patients with a BMI of 12 and above
5. Free family group to provide families education and a space to share with others
To understand the most suitable eating disorder treatment for your needs and personal circumstances our team would welcome your call. We have a number of eating disorder specialists here in London with a breadth of experience to match your individual situation. We establish successful patient/therapist partnerships and achieve the most effective therapeutic relationship due to this extensive expertise. We will take the time to understand your problem and individual needs.
- Nicole Burleigh View profile
- Jessica Wilkins View profile
- Frank Aust View profile
- Dr Sophie Rae View profile
Typical duration of treatment: Assessment completed and plan agreed with patient
Price range: Dependent on individual programme