My professional qualifications, accreditations and memberships:
MA, MSc, DipClinPsych, BPS, HCPC, Schema Therapy (Advanced Level, ISST)
My professional experience:
I am a clinical psychologist who has worked in various NHS settings since 1993 (these include Hackney, Haringey, Brent and Tower Hamlets).
I have been a consultant clinical psychologist in two services ( from 2002 to 2016) and from 2017 to May 2018 was the clinical lead for a new service in Tower Hamlets working with first onset psychosis in those over the age of 35.
My personal statement:
I have many years of experience of working with depression, anxiety, interpersonal difficulties, trauma, psychosis and bipolar conditions.
In designing a person specific therapy I draw on cognitive behavioural therapy, narrative and solution focused therapy, and schema focused therapy as appropriate.
I have the Diploma in Schema Therapy from the International Society of Schema Therapy.
Schema Therapy is well suited for working with long term difficulties of personality and interpersonal difficulties in general.
Additional information about my research, publications and interests:
I have published several articles on psychosis and depression.
- Rhodes, J. (1990). Telling off: methods and morality. Pastoral Care, 8, 4, 32-34.
- Rhodes, J. (1993). The use of solution focused brief therapy in schools. Educational Psychology in Practice, 8, 1, 27-34.
- Rhodes, J. (1993). Telling pupils off: teacher style and the use of force. Therapeutic Care and Education, 2,2, 321-326.
- Rhodes, J. (1993). How pupils and staff experienced a peer tutoring project involving paired reading. Reading, 27, 3, 14-19.
- Rhodes, J. (1994). Working with a difficult class. Pastoral Care, . 12 No.4, 31-36.
- Ajmal, Y. and Rhodes, J. (1995). Solution-focused brief therapy, EPs and schools. Educational and Child Psychology, 12, 4, 16-21.
- Jakes, S., Rhodes, J., and Turner, T. (1999). Effectiveness of cognitive therapy for delusions in routine clinical practice. British Journal of Psychiatry, 175, 331-335.
- Rhodes, J. and Jakes, S. (2000). Correspondence between delusions and personal goals: a qualitative analysis. British Journal of Medical Psychology, 73, 211-225.
- Rhodes, J. (2000). Solution-focused consultation in a residential setting. Clinical Psychology Forum, .141, July 29-33.
- Rhodes, J. and Jakes, S. (2002). Using solution-focused therapy during a psychotic crisis: a case study. Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, 9, 139-148.
- Jakes, C.S., and Rhodes, J.E. (2003). The effect of different components of psychological therapy on people with delusions: five experimental single cases. Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, 10, 302-315
- Rhodes, J. and Jakes, S. (2004). The contribution of metaphor and metonymy to delusions. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, and Practice, 77, 1-17.
- Rhodes, J.E. and Jakes, S. (2004). Evidence given for delusions during cognitive behaviour therapy. Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy,11, 207-218.
- Jakes, S., Rhodes, J., & Issa, S. (2004). Are the themes of delusional beliefs related to the themes of life-problems and goals? Journal of Mental Health, December, 13 (6) ,661-619.
- Rhodes, J., Jakes, S. and Robinson, J. (2005). A qualitative analysis of delusional content. Journal of Mental Health, 14,4,383-398.
- Sorenson, J, Done, J. D., & Rhodes, J. (2007).A case series evaluation of a brief psycho-education approach intended for the prevention of relapse in bipolar disorder. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy, 35,1,93-107
- Evenson, E., Rhodes, J., Feigenbaum, J. & Solly, A. (2008). The experience of fathers with psychosis. Journal of Mental Health,17, 6, 629-642 (14).
- Pearson, M., Brewin, C.R., Rhodes, J. & McCarron, G.( 2008). Frequency and nature of rumination in chronic depression. Cognitive Behavior Therapy, 37, 3,160-168.
- Rhodes, J & Gipps, R. (2008). Delusions, certainty, and the background. Philosophy, Psychiatry, and Psychology 15, 4, 295-310.
- Gipps, R.T.G., & Rhodes J. (2008). The theory of delusion and existential phenomenology. Philosophy, Psychiatry, and Psychology 15, 4, 321-326.
- Mason, O. Brett, E., Collinge, M. Curr, H., & Rhodes J. (2009). Child abuse and the content of delusions. Child Abuse and Neglect, 33, 4, 205-208.
- Rhodes, J. & Smith, J. (2010). ‘The top of my head came off’: an interpretative phenomenological analysis of the experience of depression. Counseling Psychology Quarterly, 23,4, 399-409.
- Rhodes, J & Jakes, S. (2010) Perspectives on the onset of delusions. Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, 17,136-146.
- Gipps R.,G.,T., & Rhodes, J. (2011). Delusions and the Non-epistemic Foundation of Belief. Philosophy, Psychiatry, and Psychology 18, 1, 89-97.
- Sporle, T, Winter, D. & Rhodes ,J. (2011). Childhood Sexual Abuse and Construction of Self and Others in People Who have Experienced Psychosis .Journal of Constructivist Psychology 24, 3, 185-207
- Mitchison D., Jakes S., Kelly S., & Rhodes J. (2015). Are Young People Hospitalised with Psychosis Interested in Psychological Therapy? Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy., 22, 22–31, doi: 10.1002/cpp.1864
- Smith, J.A. & Rhodes, J.E. (2015).Being depleted and being shaken: an interpretative phenomenological analysis of the experiential features of a first episode of depression. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, and Practice. 88, 2, 197-209
- Rhodes, J.E., Parrett, N. & Mason, O. (2016). A qualitative study of refugees with psychotic symptoms. Journal of Psychosis, 8, 1-11. Doi.org/10,1080/17522439.2015.1045547
- Rhodes, J. E. & Healey, A.L. (2016). ‘Many die in the hurricane’: an interpretative phenomenological analysis of adults with psychosis and a history of physical abuse. Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, 24, 3,737-746, DOI: 10.1002/cpp.2043
- Rhodes, J. E , O’Neill, N. & Nel,P. (2018) Psychosis and sexual abuse: an interpretative phenomenological analysis. Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy 25, 42018, 540-549
- Rhodes, J.E., Hackney, S., & Smith, J.A. (2018). Emptiness, Engulfment and Life struggle: An Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis of Chronic Depression. Journal of Constructivist Psychology. DOI: 10.1080/10720537.2018.1515046
- Rhodes, J. and Ajmal, A. (1995). Solution Focused Thinking in Schools. London: BT Press. [The above book has also been translated into Swedish, (1995), published by Humanistiska Forlaget.]
- Rhodes, J. & Jakes, S. (2009). Narrative CBT for psychosis. Hove: Routledge.
- Rhodes, J.E. (2014). Narrative CBT: Distinctive Features Hove: Routledge.
- Rhodes, J. (2012). Narrative CBT. In W. Dryden (Ed), Cognitive Behaviour Therapies. London:Sage.
- Rhodes, J. and Jakes, S (March, 2003). The content of delusions: rigid types or fluid themes? The Annual British Psychological Society Conference, Bournemouth.
- Jakes, S. and Rhodes, J. (September, 2004). The role of metaphor in delusional thinking: a pilot study. The European Association for the Behavioural and Cognitive Therapies, Manchester
- Rhodes (2012). Narrative Cognitive Behaviour Therapy understanding of Delusions: The transformation of meaning over time”. Given at the XVII Annual Course of Schizophrenia: “ Biography, Family, Narratives and Psychotherapy for Psychosis”. Madrid, Spain.