Drug use, originally as harmless fun, or legitimately for health reasons, can end with serious consequences physically, emotionally and psychologically. Drug abuse is a disease that can be life threatening and could destroy your life and the life of those you care about. You can recover and we can help you take that vital step to regain a life free from drug addiction. Drug addiction can be understood and treated using a variety of approaches.
Our treatment approach for drug addiction
Using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), known as CBT, Motivational Enhancement Therapy (MET), Interpersonal Therapy (IPT) and Twelve Step Facilitation (TSF). We consider biological, psychological and social factors in our drug addiction treatment programmes.
We also treat any co-existing conditions such as depression, anxiety etc. If detoxification from a chemical or substance is required we have experts in this field to carry out specialist detoxification as the first stage of treatment. Our programmes aim to achieve abstinence from your ‘drug of choice’.
Through therapy and education on drug abuse and relapse prevention and alternative approaches such as mindfulness, sleep therapy, relaxation techniques, nutrition and physical therapies, we aim to give you the knowledge and coping skills for living without depending on drugs.
Avoiding relapse is the greatest challenge so we offer step down programmes, individual counselling and free aftercare and family support groups to sustain motivation against drug abuse.
Warning Signs of Drug Addiction
Drugs can be addictive. Some warning signs are:
- Feeling you have to use the drug regularly to function
- Needing more to achieve the desired effect
- Withdrawal symptoms
- Failure to cut down or stop the drug
- A great deal of time is spent obtaining the drug
- Family, social and work responsibilities are ignored
- Carrying on using despite negative consequences
- Dr Christopher Muller-Pollard View profile
- Dr Dmitri Popelyuk View profile
- Dr Ghazala Afzal View profile
- Patricia Fry View profile