The benefits of the technologies we all use on a daily basis are clear to see. However, in a short period of time the world we all inhabit has drastically changed and we have had little time to adapt. Unfortunately unhealthy relationships with technology such as phones, computers, games and social media can cause destructive consequences; physically and psychologically. Lives can be impaired by extensive and unregulated time online, on-screen or ‘in-game’.
Warning signs of technology addiction
- You spend increasing amounts of time on the computer and internet.
- You fail to limit your time spent on the computer or internet
- You neglect family, friends and other responsibilities
- You get angry when others criticize the amount of time you spend online
- You withdraw from other pleasurable activities
- Your online use interferes with studying or work
- You are restless and anxious when not online
- You will forgo necessary sleep to stay online
Our treatment approach for technology addiction
The three core elements are:
Interpersonal Therapy giving the emphasis on Interpersonal Sensitivity and how this relates to discomfort in face-to-face time with others.
Tech Hygiene in which the meaning of your relationship to technology is explored whether a phone, a game or social media platform such as Facebook. This is supported by other therapies including CBT, Relaxation and Sleep Therapy which work on managing the energy or level of arousal that follows prolonged gaming and focuses on how to ‘Switch Off and Disconnect’.
Life skills and health
Life Skills and Health to look after the body and feel good within it. Prolonged periods of Technology Addiction compromise confidence in facing the demands of life in the external world but also physically where individuals may suffer poor nutrition and a lack of physical activity.
Free telephone consultation
We offer a free telephone consultation to determine if technology addiction treatment and rehabilitation would be right for you, or a loved one. Complete the form below and a member of our expert addictions team will be in touch to arrange an appointment.
- Richard Turrell View profile
- María García View profile
- Dr Anshul Swami View profile
- Chris Beale View profile