Dr Holly Kahya
Chartered Counselling Psychologist, Schema Therapist, Yoga Therapist for Mental Health
- Anger problems
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Interpersonal difficulties
- Personality disorders
- Panic attacks
- Mood disorders
- Perinatal mental health
- Suicidal thoughts and feelings
- Work-related stress disorder
Professional qualifications, accreditations and memberships
- B.A (Hons) Psychology Manchester University
- Post Graduate Certificate of Education Bath Spa University
- Yoga Therapy and Mindfulness for Mental Health (350 hr) The Minded Institute
- Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology City, University of London
- Advanced certified Schema Therapist Schema Therapy Associates
- Chartered Member of the British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Member of the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Full member of the International Society of Schema Therapists (ISST)
Holly has over a decade of experience working in mental health, starting her professional career in education, working with children with social, emotional and behavioural difficulties. Since then, she has worked in a wide range of settings, including a variety of NHS and charity mental health services, schools, universities, residential and inpatient services. In addition to her clinical work, she is a visiting lecturer on the Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology, at the City University of London, and runs a small independent practice.
As a Counselling Psychologist, Holly draws from a broad range of therapeutic approaches including person-centred counselling, psychodynamic psychotherapy, Gestalt psychology, Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and more recent mindfulness-based approaches. Holly sees therapy as a unique and collaborative process. Having a wide tool kit, along with genuine warmth and care for her clients, enables Holly to flexibly tailor her approach for each individual.
Holly has a specialist interest in childhood trauma and complex PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder) and is accredited as an Advanced Level certified Schema Therapist, working with adults with complex mental health issues.
Additional information about research, publications and interests
Holly is a qualified Yoga Therapist for mental health and has a keen interest in the relationship between mind and body, particularly within the realm of mental health and wellbeing. She has published research into this area:
- Kahya, H. H., & Raspin, C. G. (2017). Yoga Therapy for the Mind Eight-Week Course: Participants׳ Experiences. Explore: The Journal of Science and Healing, 13(2), 116-123.
- Kahya, H. (2016). One small, quiet act. The Psychologist, 29 (11), 854-855.