My professional qualifications, accreditations and memberships:
- MBChB University of Pretoria South Africa (1985)
- MRCPsych United Kingdom
- Royal College of Psychiatrists
- General Medical Council
- Chartered Management Institute (Certificate Leadership Coaching and Mentoring)
- Diploma in Clinical Risk and Claims Management
My professional experience:
I am a Consultant Psychiatrist with dual registration in General Adult Psychiatry and Old Age Psychiatry and did my Postgraduate Training at St George’s Hospital and St Mary’s Hospital in London. My private practices are situated in central London, based at Nightingale Hospital London and the Roodlane Medical Centre, New Broad Street. My field of interest is, amongst others, focused on professionals suffering from depression and anxiety in high stress business environments. I am also involved with the PJ Care Group, a 200 bed private specialist neuro-rehabilitation and neuropsychiatry centre as Medical Director. I have a vast experience in the field of cognitive (memory) problems.
Academically I am an Honorary Senior Lecturer at Hertfordshire University and teach on the MRCPsych course which I also co-organise.
My personal statement:
In my practice I follow a psychological and social model and alongside a medical approach, also work closely with ‘therapies’ and do not just prescribe pharmaceuticals. I often work with clients who are in employment and my approach is for every individual to remain or return to employment successfully. This is achieved by accurate assessment and treatment and by providing close support along the way to a satisfying life following one’s hopes and aspirations.
I believe that every patient should share in making decisions and choices regarding their treatment and recovery. My interests are with OCD, anxiety and depressive disorders, stress, bipolar disorders, schizophrenia and psychiatric disorders in relation to physical illness. I have experience in the assessment, investigation, diagnosis and treatment of various cognitive problems.
Additional information about my research, publications and interests:
1) Co morbid depression in OCD: Symptomatic difference to Major Depressive Disorder. With Prof N Fineberg (Journal of Affective Disorders – 2005).
2) Poster Exhibition: Depression in OCD: Symptom Profile – European Neuro, Psychopharmacology Conference, Stockholm, 2004
3) Cost-Effectiveness of Nidotherapy for co-morbid PD and severe mental illness: RCT. With Prof Peter Tyrer & others (Epidemiologica Psichiatria Sociale – 2009).