My professional qualifications, accreditations and memberships:
- 1973 Semmelweis Medical School, Budapest/Hungary; MD, Summa cum Laude
- 1978 – MRCPsych equivalent
- 1991 – Postgraduate Diploma in Substance Misuse Research at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore / USA – funded by National Institute of Drug Addictions (NIDA)/USA
- Member of the British Medical Association (BMA)
- Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists (MRCPsych)
- Member of the Society for the Study of Addictions (SSA)
- Royal College of Psychiatrists Representative to AAC (Consultant Appointing Panel)
- Appraiser for NHS Trust
My professional experience:
I have been working as a psychiatrist specialising in addictions for over 41 years; half of it in Hungary where I headed the emerging addiction treatment service in the 1980s and gained experience and later international recognition for my work. The other half I have spent in the UK with NHS addictions services treating individuals with dependence problems often combined with various types of mental disorders. I trained dozens of excellent psychiatrists; lectured widely for both undergraduates and postgraduates at Imperial College; did some research and treated a great number of individuals, some of them over many years. I can say that I have been assisting ‘addiction science and practice’ almost from its cradle up to the present time.
My personal statement:
I work with the same enthusiasm, curiosity and excitement today as 40 years ago; every day brings new experiences through my encounters with various individuals seeking help. I apply the knowledge and experience I have gained and approach the individual who seeks help with empathy and undivided attention. I have never lost my belief both in the individual and myself and my trust in science. My approach is holistic: taking into account the individual and their world with all its facets. My treatment methods are flexible, combining pharmacological and psychotherapeutic interventions through individualised planning; I am reflective and confident working with my patients in achieving the needed and mutually agreed changes in their lives.