My professional qualifications, accreditations and memberships:
- MB BS (London), MRCGP, FRCPsych
- Consultant Psychiatrist in Eating Disorders and former head of St. Ann’s Eating Disorder Unit
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, University College London School of Medicine.
- Specialist Advisor to BEAT on psychological treatment of obesity
- Member of the Board of the London School of Postgraduate Psychiatry
My professional experience:
I have extensive experience in treating patients with eating disorders and obesity. I set up the St Ann’s Eating Disorders Service in North London and was an expert advisor for NICE guidelines on Eating Disorders. I represent Eating Disorders on the London Division of the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
My personal statement:
I have always worked collaboratively with patients and try to share making decisions about treatment and recovery. I have an enduring interest in psychological factors associated with eating disorders but my initial training in general practice is useful in managing the medical aspects of eating disorders.
I have presented original work at numerous national and international conferences on treatment of anorexia and bulimia nervosa, mood and eating disorders, psychological treatment of obesity, epidemiology of eating disorders and relapse prevention.
I have been keen to develop innovative approaches to the treatment of eating disorders including new psychological interventions. More recently I have been involved with supporting patient and carer led approaches.